Monday, October 15, 2007

I'm scared

I'm not a "new man" type. I generally keep my personal feelings to myself and I am careful about who confide in. However, there are times when the nerve endings become so frayed that discretion goes out the window and the bottling up of emotions brings with it a steady increase in pressure, until the decision about who to tell and in what circumstances goes out the window. A safety valve somewhere takes over before the overproduction of bile and the endless anguished sleepless nights lead to a screaming mental eruption.
I'm really really scared that there is a slight slight chance that England might win the Rugby World Cup. Not because of any xenophobic, political or historic reasons. Not because they wouldn't deserve it if they did win. Not because it could have been us (it couldn't). No.
We could never watch or listen to rugby commentry on a british channel ever ever ever again. Ever. Even if England were beaten. Even if England weren't playing. Even if it wasn't international rugby. Even if it was under 10 rugby. So when George Hook loses what remains of his marbles or Trevor Brennan quits punditry to take up a career in poetry, or the creeping paralysis finally reaches Neil Francis' face, we'll have to watch sailing on Setanta.
Sorry, just had to get it off my chest.

2 comments:

Bock the Robber said...

I feel your pain.

It isn't an anti-English thing. In fact, I have often shouted for England during such contests, being one of the Home Nations. It's just that, as you say, they will make life entirely impossible for the next four years if they win.

No! Not four years: for as long as we live.

Sorry, but I can't live with that Chariot forever more.

But still, how could you cheer for a Southern Hemisphere team? You just couldn't.

Shit, it has to be the Brits.

Swing low . . .

Conflicted or what?

ellie said...

I share your pain. It is so nice for a man to open up in such a public way and try to bridge the gap between Venus and Mars. Lets just hope your darkest fears are not confirmed