Tuesday, July 03, 2007

talking 'bout my generation

Teaching guitar, you get the feeling that you're probably regarded as somewhat cooler than the average parent. Never mind the fact that you don't have a trophy car, a holiday home somewhere warm or go skiing every February, at least you have skills that the average teenager would see as desirable. This consolation quickly evaporates once you get down to the nitty gritty of guitaristy role models. When did you manage to go for the hundred year nap, only to awaken and discover that nobody with the word "teen" in their middle name has ever heard of John Martyn, Eric Clapton, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Andre Segovia, Scullion, Paul Brady, Joan Armatrading or anybody else who ever raised a guitar in anger. In fairness, most of them are delighted to have their eyes opened, and being a part of that process is probably what makes life so enjoyable, but you get the feeling that somebody somewhere is not doing their job. I'm aware that there is some serious talent out there today, but probably only because somebody turned them on to some important pioneers at some stage during their development. If you draw a parallel with the health of the traditional/folk music scene in recent years, which owes a lot to the resurgence in interest by the previous generations, where your Sweeney's Men, Planxty, Bothy Band, De Dannann and many more breathed fresh life into the tradition.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad is a pretty good guitarist but wouldn't teach me when I was a teenager. Didn't have the patience. He showed me A,D and E and told me to learn the rest meself. Totally agree about the lack of guitar heroes nowadays, I don't know one. The only ones I know are from the last millenium.

Anonymous said...

Well you have mentioned some big names there.And as for Plaxty and the Bothy Band well for sure thats why Irish Music changed and trives today.
Now Hers the question ? I am thinking of starting to learn the guitar now at the age of 34 . Good or bad idea ?

galwaywegian said...

B3n, Your dad was right. You should never teach one of your own family to play guitar or to drive. I remember sitting in the back of the car while me grandad taught my granny to drive and you cut smell the tension in the air! macdara, no problem, you just need to work a bit harder than the young whippersnappers to get the fingers moving. I'm currently teaching a 60 year old and have had a student in his 70s a couple of years ago.

Anonymous said...

Macdara: Learning anything at any age is a great idea. It's when the brain stops learning new things, we go stagnant. Unless you've started to get arthritis in your fingers. I just wonder whether or not your partner will think it's a good idea, I used to think that there was nothing worse than listening to someone just learning to play an instrument, but we all have to start somewhere so go for it!

ellie said...

Whistling my way towards forty and a few of the names you mentioned were above my head! I regret never learning to play an instrument, will put it on my "Things to do before I die list"

Bock the Robber said...

On a positive note, my fifteen-year-old heavy metal guitarist includes Hendrix, Page and Gallagher among his heroes. Now, let's see what he thinks of Leadbelly.

galwaywegian said...

D'ya not think he's a bit young to be exposed to 12stringers Bock? Can go to a young lad's head you know..